Friday, January 16, 2009

Just lowlights, but hey, I'm alive

So last Thursday (the 8th), I had my surgeries, and well, I survived. It didn't go as well as planned. For those who weren't well informed by myself (sorry), I had a tonsillectomy, a deviated septum repaired and cysts removed from my sinuses. So yes, that's 3 procedures done at one time. Well, I guess I'm a bleeder, so when I woke up the first time from the surgery I was bleeding still. All I remember is waking up coughing and choking and the anaesthesiologist getting mad at me for doing so...and thinking I can't really help it, I'm sorry!! My ENT was brought into post-op to look at me and they took me back into surgery to "clean up the bleeders". I remember being taken back in, and begging them to tell Matt where I was.

Waking up the second time was much more gruesome. Not only did the second round of anaesthetics within 6 hours make me very ill, I had swallowed a lot of my own blood after the first waking. (no wonder he was mad at me). I was puking up blood like it was nobody's business and had really high blood pressure. I had to really beg them to bring in Matt (and my Mom who was now in the waiting room). I think they finally gave in, hoping their presence would lower my blood pressure. It didn't, but I felt better having them there. I really don't remember much else besides my poor Husband and Mother trading off catching the blood in those little bean-shaped trays they give you for vomiting. They even gave me anti-nausea meds through my IV, but combined with my blood pressure, they admitted me overnight. (so I'm told...I only remember that I kept complaining about throwing up blood and the blood pressure cuff being way too tight, then being wheeled down a really long hallway into a room).

My Mom stayed overnight with me (as she is experienced with sleeping in hospitals), so Matt could go home and get some rest, since he'd be dealing with me for the next week. The night was rough, and painful, and IVs really are a pain! Every time I needed to get up to go to the bathroom I had to page the nurse to become unhooked from everything and drag the IV in there.

The next day I went home (finally!). And the next several days were lots of sleeping and trying to keep drinking liquids, even though my throat felt like someone took a sander to it, and swallowing felt like something I'd never done before. Monday's check-up was good at the doc's, even had an egg mcmuffin for brunch...then came Tuesday (shudders). Matt had to go back to work and the morning started okay with a smoothie, pills and water....but midway through the day I got very nauseated, and threw up. I was miserable and after a few hours of intense pain I gave in an called Matt to come home. EVERYYTHING I got in me, came back up that day/night and we had to call the doctor who called in and anti-nausea suppository (yes folks, grown ups have to use them too!) at midnight. It helped knock me out and the next day I was better.

The last few days have been painful as the scabs in my throat are falling off, but I've been doing okay. Lots of painkillers and sleeping. I went in again today and the doctor cleaned a lot of the gunk out of my nose, so I can breathe through it finally, but talking is very difficult. I have lost my sense of taste, but he assures me it will return soon, now that I can breathe through my nose. Let's hope so! I really like the taste of food, and would hope that I never lose it permanently!

I must say that I married a very patient and caring man who has taken very good care of me this last week plus! Thank you! I love you!

And to my Mom: I'm glad you were there to help me and Matt out with settling me in. Thank you! I love you!

To both: thank you for catching the blood I puked up, only true loved ones (or paid nurses) would put up with such a gruesome task and I will love you guys for your compassion in my time of complete need :)

I must go for now, as the pain killer is wearing off and the new one I will take will subsequently knock me out for the next hour at least! But I just wanted to give the details and update in case you don't hear it through the grapevine :)

2 comments:

Kas said...

Love you and hope you're doing better! Do you remember talking to me on the phone? We've been thinking about you but just didn't want to call you since you need your rest! xoxo Kas and Koda

Brent and Shanna Farley said...

I'm glad to hear you are doing better. Sorry the hospital stuff wasn't so fun! Hope you get better soon!
Love ya