Saturday, April 11, 2009

It's been so long, I forgot I was missing it

Why didn't anyone remind me? I had forgotten what it was like to sleep without excessive noise permeating every moment of the night. Resulting in the zombie-like sleep I must have been getting for well over two years now. The non-stop, round-the-clock, rush of traffic on Highland Drive, bouncing in through our single pane, kept no noise out and barely the cold, windows.

I still have my sleeping issues....because, I'm me and it wouldn't make sense for everything to get better. However, now that we officially live in the 'burbs, it's eerily quiet at night. Almost deafeningly silent, laying there in bed, trying to fall asleep. It's the lack of street traffic, heard through thin windows, so it feels like the cars are IN the same room. It's the multiple walls and vast expanses (it's a general exaggeration, but a quite accurate comparison to our old place) in-between the bedroom and the TV room where Hubs is watching TV. It's the lack of people walking home from the bars at closing time, drunk, and talking loudly as they ever-so-slowly pass the building's parking lot.

Instead, peaceful, suburbia silence. It is this beautiful thing, contained in such an environment I tend to loathe, that finds me waking now, knowing...better yet, feeling...like I got into a deep sleep (even if it may be a short one).

1 comment:

The Demigoddess said...

I live about 30 minutes away from the city, too, and I love the peace and quiet. You'll get used to your new home.

Sweet dreams.