Friday, December 5, 2008

Dreams

Ever have one of those dreams, that when you wake up, you try to fall back asleep to finish it?

Saturday I had a dream like that, and haven't stopped thinking about it since. I did get up and then go back to sleep hoping to finish. It wasn't the same dream the second time around, but more detailed and far more interesting.

The first was short and vague. I remembered something about a baby girl (and it was definitely Dakota's sister) when I woke up, so I tried to go back to it, by going back to sleep.

The second was wayyyyyy more detailed and memorable, but still short.

I was in a room in a house, somewhere I've never been before. I was with my sister. We were talking about who knows what, but she was holding a beautiful baby boy, about the age of one or eighteen months. (I don't know, I'm bad at guessing babies' ages.) He was wearing little kid overalls and a white shirt, and she was feeding him a bottle.

He was beautiful; blonde curly hair, with a tint of red to it, very pale but striking blue eyes, and very fair skinned. In the dream I couldn't look away from him.


He finished the bottle and she laid him down on a blanket on the floor. She said "Aw, you're tired now, huh? Go to sleep beautiful Colton". I said, "I love you Colton".

That was all.

When I woke again, I was confused thinking "There's no way that was Kass' kid". Kass' husband is full-blooded Japanese, and she really doesn't have a shot in hell of ever having a non-Japanese looking child. I figured he must have been mine. BUT Matt and I already have a boys name picked out and it's not that.....perplexed I told Matt about the dream. He said "Maybe it's our second son..?". Immediately I started laughing and said back to him, "But we'd never use the name Colton....it would destine him to be a bull rider!". Matt laughed too, because about a month ago we were watching a rodeo champion on TV and I noticed every-other rider was named Colton, and I had said at the time "Matt if you want a bull-rider for a son we have to name him Colton or Colt". Also, this week we saw the episode of Seinfeld where his comedy bit at the beginning of the show talks about naming a kid Jeeves destines him to be a butler....

Anyway, it was funny to us at least.

Here's the thing...I'm not really religious, but I do believe that sometimes dreams are more than that. I do believe they can be warnings or visions. It has happened to me before, and there is just a totally different feeling in and about the dream, where you know it was closer to reality.

So I am left knowing that that baby boy Colton will exist someday, maybe he's ours, maybe not. If it is, do we have to name him that? I really don't like the name! I guess time will tell, and maybe he is ours, and we will have a name picked out.....but then we meet him for the first time and no other name will fit him but Colton.

3 comments:

Kas said...

I think mom wanted to name a son Colton... Kind of weird. But definitely not mine :) No blonde hair or blue eyed babies for me!

Kas said...

Maybe I was babysitting ;)

Brent and Shanna Farley said...

Interesting dream, I had one sort of like it before Brent and I got pregnant. My dream or at least daydream was of a little girl with curly long hair saying that she wanted to come down and join our family. But then when we got pregnant just before our miscarriage, I felt it was a boy. So strange. I understand the feeling though.