Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dear Loved One,

Happy Birthday. You would have been 26 today. Last month was the 9th anniversary, and I thought of you that entire day. I think of you often, and how unfair it was that your family had to lose you so young, to lose you at all. You were the closest thing I ever had to a big brother, and the closest thing I had to a normal brother. The thing is, you treated me like I was your little sister, and not just your little sister's friend (at least it seemed that way to me). I often think back to your family's trip that I was invited on, and you giving me your sweater because I was cold. Such a simple gesture, but sincere and kindhearted...enough that I can recall it now just shy of 10 years later. That was your essence: sincere, kindhearted, loving. Though you were only in my life for a short period of time, you made a huge impact in it, and the loss of you changed they way I looked at the world, how I looked at life.

Even though I haven't been to see you in years, it's not that I don't think about you, and miss you. It's merely that after you were gone, I hurt for so long, not just because you were gone....but your family was like my "other" family, and it hurt to see them hurt.

Please forgive me for not visiting more often, and enjoy this day that should be celebrated for you. You may no longer be here in body, but in reverent remembrance we can honor you, because we love you and miss you.

Always & Forever

2 comments:

Brent and Shanna Farley said...

Happy Birthday Josh! Thanks for remembering! :)

The Demigoddess said...

Truly touching. I felt your pain just by reading your words.