Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Geek in Me

I read lots of regular fiction, because I can't handle westerns, romance, sci-fi, or most non-ficiton subjects. I don't like buying used or going to the library, because I like the smell of a new book...but I donate books I don't intend to keep to my local library, because when I was young I couldn't buy books @ $20 a pop, and was constantly at the library...it's my version of "giving back to the community".

As I write this, there is a finished puzzle on my coffee table that I did by myself on Sunday, in under 2.5 hours (we didn't time it, but that's our guess), while watching TV...and I buy the 5-pak (500 pc/puzzle) at Walgreens, because it's only $6.99.

I own an original Nintendo, and love to play Mario Bros. 3, but I also own Mario Bros. 1 (with DuckHunt, of course). I learned to play Star Wars Battlefront on an XBOX first, and then on Playstation 2 (and the sequel, Battlefront 2, which I'm currently re-obsessed with on PS2)....and I'm not even a Star Wars fan. I once spent weeks mastering the 100-man-melee on GameCube (with the princess, no less). [I can't tell you the name of the game...so I'm not that big of a geek...but I do know that some games are exclusive to their game systems, and some are made in multiple versions for each gaming system, and they look different on XBOX, PS2, PC, etc....which anyone who isn't slightly geeky would not necessarily know that] .


I like to sew, even though I haven't for a while (because we just honestly don't have the room that projects tend to overtake). I recovered our couch in microfiber suede & have made lots of quilts (hand-tied with yarn, because I'm too lazy to make them a true "quilt") ...I can sew buttons back on, but don't ask me to hem something because I take my pants down the street and pay the $10 to have them hemmed.

I've been told by some people that one of these things makes me geeky (them only knowing about one of these)...so what does the combination of these things make me? Seriously? Because it's not like I know all the html codes, the difference in a processor & RAM, or every part in a car's engine, or quote lines from Star Wars or Star Trek, or know everything about the newest iPhone or similar star-status cell phone (I text, and make calls from my phone, and I can handle that). Maybe the definition of "geek" has changed since I was in high school...even though that was only 6 years ago?

I think it's healthy to have interest in lots of things, even if that makes me a GEEK!

No comments: