Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Egregious Behavior

Matt & I both enjoy people-watching in public outings. Sometimes we sit at at a restraunt and say only a few words to each other during dinner, looking like an old married couple, but really we are just people-watching (or watching the game on the TV). Because seriously, after how long we've known each other, we sometimes just don't have much to talk about that doesn't revolve around work. (...maybe we are doing things in reverse, and in our golden years we will be chatting each other's ears off...). Anyway, this situation works for us, both being generally quite people.

Saturday we met up with a bunch of his work friends at Junior's, a bar downtown. Originally one of them was supposed to be set up on a "meet-&-greet-a-potential-love-interest", but the "love interest" didn't show. It worked out better that way. The pressure was off, and the drinking and pool playing was no longer going to be interrupted by the getting to know you games (so often pursued when two people are being set up by a third party).

We dominated the back part of the room, taking over the one and only pool table. Matt played most of the night, taking turns with the two other players, while the rest of us watched, drank, and chatted away. I didn't feel like playing pool, so I mostly drank and watched everyone else. There were a few people that it was my first time meeting, and so I was in observatory mode.

An hour into the festivities, the guy (we'll call him John) who was supposed to bring the "love interest", had another group of friends show up (2 girls, 1 guy). We didn't know them, and they didn't seem to be interested in meeting the rest of us (not all that shocking as I'll explain). The 4 of them were standing around talking, and I couldn't help but watch the group, as the blatant behaviors started to emerge. Oh, I'm sure the girls were behaving well with their words...I couldn't tell you for sure, as they were on the other side of the room where I couldn't hear. BUT I could see them. The poor guy they came with, desperately tried not to be left out of the conversation. However the girls' interest was all on John, and obviously so. They were looking straight at him, talking with him, only turning to the other guy when ab-so-lute-ly necessary. I watched one of the girls inparticular, and was very amused by her body language. She was leaning into the conversation she was having with John...head tilted down, but looking up at him smiling...mimicking his movements...repeatedly putting her hair behind her ear, or playing with it. All the classic signs of flirting that send the signal I'm totally into you, please, please, please notice!!! And John? He had the smile on, and the laid back posture not to give too much away up front (but really portrays the I'm not going to make it obvious that I'd go for you, but I totally would signal).

I couldn't help but laugh on the inside, and a little out loud, and pull Matt over to watch.

I laughed because it was so completely obvious. I laughed because I have been there, and was hoping I wasn't that obvious. I laughed because I'll never have to go through that every weekend, ever again, and I'm so very glad.

No comments: