Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Giddiness

You know the section of greeting cards labeled "husband", you know it's there. You toss it a side glance, but it feels like you're looking at something forbidden. You have no reason to buy from it. You're single (or involved but that really doesn't make a difference).

Matt's birthday is this week, and I went to get him a card. I sat there looking at the wall of cards, giddy, excited, because I got to enter that previously forbidden section. I got to buy my first card marked "husband", not "boyfriend" or "loved one". It made me deliriously happy, such a little thing :)

Side note: Why is it that greeting cards for boyfriends are sexy romantic, but for husbands they are sappy romantic? I felt a little disappointed, that the greeting card industry stereotypes marriage like the rest of the world: you get married and all passion and/or sexiness is lost. What the hell? Maybe I should have just bought a boyfriend one and crossed out boyfriend and wrote husband....

No comments: