Monday, October 13, 2008

Dangerous Things We Do As Children

A friend asked a good question on one of my posts below, regarding jumping off a ski lift. I will explain this, for those who have not heard the story.

Once upon a time, my scheming sister, best friend and I were all skiing together. I'm not sure whose ingenious idea it was to jump off the ski lift, while it was moving, except I'm pretty sure it wasn't mine. I wasn't exactly a brave girl in junior high, and always have been (and always will be) a worrier. Regardless, they somehow talked me into it, and we jumped off the moving ski lift into a powdery area with about 5-6 feet of untouched powder. It was fun, thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime experience and well....dangerous. I look back now, and can't fathom why I would have done it, knowing now that we were really lucky that none of us got hurt (we could have broken leg(s) or worse people!), and that we somehow didn't get caught and kicked out of the resort.

But, hey, when my sister and I were little, we used to jump off the roof for fun, and walk along the tops of fence lines, and run away from home in "disguises" (well across town, which really was dangerous because we lived in the town where the Polly Klaas kidnapping happened) ....which are clearly dangerous activities too!

Its amazing the bravery one has as a child. You have no fear for injury....but you also don't have the rational and foresight you do as you grow up into an adult. I guess it's hard to be so easily scared if you're not totally & completely aware of the risks and the consequences. If you're lucky, you spend most of your childhood blissfully unaware of the danger your fun may be.

(And sometimes I wish I still felt that oblivious freedom, that I took for granted because I didn't know it wouldn't last)

1 comment:

Brent and Shanna Farley said...

I blame it on Kass. I think it was her fault! :) I was sure fun though. You know the game two truths and a lie. I always pick that one to put on there.