Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Deep Breath

I know the economy is scary right now, in every sense. My personal rate of return for my 401k this year is -29.6%! Look closely, it's a negative! I share this information, because I think many are in the same boat, some of us more fortunate than others. I feel fortunate that I don't have to retire in the next 5-10 years, so my 401k will have a chance to recover (fingers crossed), whereas some people may not if it takes 5-10 years to recover. At work we are getting weekly memos reminding us to sell like our jobs depend on it (because they DO).

Take a deep breath...

It's definitely scary times right now, but I still feel fortunate to live in a country where I can help elect the next President, who will have to try and get us out of this mess. That I live in a country where I get opportunities for success and it's up to me to grab them. That I live in a country with everyday freedoms that others never see, and I understand them as privilages not rights, and that the country also gives me, as a person, as a woman, rights.

I may not agree with how the economy crisis is being handled, although it's really just picking the lesser path of 2 evils. But honestly, our economy at a low point is still so much more fortunate than many regions of the world see on a "good day". Be grateful. Get smart. Start saving, because I feel that rainy day is closer than we might think.


Take a few more deep breaths....

No comments: